Tuesday, 18 April 2017

Survey Day

The next step was to get the boat surveyed, and this meant she had to come out of the water for a full inspection. There had been no available pull out slots at the marina where we were buying the boat until the end of the month, so we had arranged with the broker for the boat to be taken to a boatyard nearby for the survey. On arrival at the boatyard on the morning of the survey we were in for a bit of a shock, as the pull out was going to cost significantly more than we had expected. Something had been miscommunicated when making the arrangements between us and the broker and the boatyard, but we didn't really have any option but to pay the extra money and proceed, as the surveyor was on site and all set and we didn't want to delay the whole  purchase process.



It was a stressful start to survey day, not helped by the fact that the broker was on holiday -- so getting in touch with him was not straightforward -- and we were both distracted with phone calls for the first hour of being on site. Sadly, this meant that I was still sat in the car on the phone when the tractor pulled our girl out of the water and onto the chocks. On reflection, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing, it would probably only have added to my stress witnessing her precariously coming out of the water.

From that point the day got much better! The surveyor was fantastic, he was a really lovely guy, with an incredible attention to detail. He was there for nearly 5 hours, seemingly checking every square inch of the boat. He was happy for Michael to spend this time with him, and this meant that Michael picked up all sorts of tips and extra information about our boat and boats in general. By 3pm we were confident that we had a great, solid boat. The steel hadn't really degraded since manufacture (which was pleasantly surprising), the anodes were only a third spent, the engine and electrics were fine, the stove was good, the oven worked, the water was hot, the lights all worked. He poked around in all sorts of cupboards and hatches, and was very impressed with the boat. The only negatives were a couple of cosmetic things that we had spotted previously anyway, and the fact that the horn wasn't working. It was a huge relief! The day had already cost us well over a thousand pounds, and the boat wasn't ours yet, so to hear that there was nothing wrong with the boat was great news.

We arranged for the boat to stay on chocks to get blacked, which will save us having to pay again to get it pulled out once we take ownership. It is a little risky, as we are effectively paying to have work done on a boat that isn't actually ours yet, but we contacted the owners via the broker and they gave us the go ahead.

Now we just need to wait for the official survey to come through and the broker to get back from holiday and then it will be full steam ahead.