Saturday, 29 April 2017

The Biggest Purchase of Our Lives!

The completed survey came through as we were driving home from my family reunion in Birmingham. We had stopped off for a tunnel tour at the Dudley Canal Trust. It was pretty fascinating stuff, and well worth the stop. I had no idea of the role that canals had played in the mining industry in this area. Michael even got to try a bit of legging, which he reasoned would come in handy if we ever have a break down in a tunnel. As we drove round the M25 nearing home Michael checked his emails and suddenly announced that the completed survey had arrived. I immediately turned off the radio and held my breath as he read portions of the document out loud. No great shocks from what we were expecting. No shocks at all, in fact, just confirmation that she was a great little boat in fantastic condition. It was a relief to see it in black and white, and a bonus that he had valued her at a couple of thousand pounds over what we were paying for her. There were of course a few recommendations and lots of useful advice and information.

Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Additional Crew Wanted...

In the last week we have visited three dog rehoming centres; The Dogs Trust in Shoreham, and Battersea Dogs and Cats Home in both Battersea and Old Windsor. We are looking for an additional crew member for our boat, and wanted to find out if we would be allowed to re-home one.

Wednesday, 19 April 2017

Why 'Minimal List'

Three reasons:

Firstly, Michael loves a good pun, and he seemed to be more persuasive about this name than I was about any of the names I came up with.

Tuesday, 18 April 2017

Survey Day

The next step was to get the boat surveyed, and this meant she had to come out of the water for a full inspection. There had been no available pull out slots at the marina where we were buying the boat until the end of the month, so we had arranged with the broker for the boat to be taken to a boatyard nearby for the survey. On arrival at the boatyard on the morning of the survey we were in for a bit of a shock, as the pull out was going to cost significantly more than we had expected. Something had been miscommunicated when making the arrangements between us and the broker and the boatyard, but we didn't really have any option but to pay the extra money and proceed, as the surveyor was on site and all set and we didn't want to delay the whole  purchase process.